Pages

Friday, December 24, 2010

'Bak Kut Teh' & Tang Yuan

Yesterday I had another great dinner with Grace, Fatimah & Naim. This time we ate 'Bak Kut Teh' for our main course while Tang Yuan for dessert. Grace offered herself as the cook for our dinner. I must say this is not really another Christmas dinner but more likely to celebrate 'Tang Yuan Festival'. I guess while living abroad, I could have a chance to celebrate all kind of festivals. 

Tang Yuan festival is known as Winter Solstice festival, the signal of winter arrival. From this blog, explained more about it;  "Tang Yuan is made of sweet glutinous rice balls. The word Yuan (meaning 'round') signifies completeness/wholeness, hence this why families get together to celebrate this festival. Traditionally, Tang Yuans are without filling but in modern times, people tend to use fillings like red bean paste, grounded peanut or sesame paste served with hot ginger syrup."




Beside Tang Yuan, I manage to try 'Bak Kut Teh' for the first time in my life. I heard many times about this delicacy and was a famous dish among Chinese society especially in Malaysia. As usually pork was the main  ingredient, so it is unlikely 'halal' which can be consume for Muslim people. Fortunately Grace brought the paste all the way from Singapore. The interesting part about this menu is the preparation. It is very easy and all you need is the meat/chicken, few crush garlics and boil in water together with a bag of the paste. The paste is exactly like tea bag and I just get to know it is actually cooking all the ingredient in tea. Bak Kut Teh means Meat Bone in Tea ;). Anyway, it was so tasty and I ate till I drop! (Eventhough I was warned by my hubby to behave in front of food but I couldn't ;P). 

 Chicken 'Bak Kut Teh'
 Rice Flakes
 Stir Fried Veggies
Peanut in Soy Sauce

We ate Bak Kut Teh along with fresh chili peppers in soy sauce, rice and rice flakes, stir fried veggies and soy sauce peanuts. Well yummmyyyy in tummy!





Let's look at my portion. It was all messy but who cares?? To maximum the taste, you have to dip the chicken into the chilli soy sauce first! Anyway, good foods make people happy! Indeed, I slept with happy tummy at Grace's place after hearing the Ghost-story-teller aka Naim opened his childhood stories.

All in all, it was a great-Chinese-cuisine and my 4th dining-out of the week. As for the 5th dinner-out, Kapsalon, after very late night lab work.......

Kapsalon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...